Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Taos Bronze

Taos Bronze Earrings

My earring design has a mix of southwestern style rugged looking clay stone wear discs and rounds, from At Home in Taos on Etsy, with bronze and turquoise. My original plan was to make coordinating earrings to go with a statement necklace I had just finished that has oodles of turquoise rondelles. But I wanted a less traditional approach to the turquoise.

So to add a little "Area 51" element, I cut some bronze discs, hammered them to a pleasing texture, and gave them a coating of wax sealer and then some light buffing to bring back their wonderful sheen. Arranging them with the stone wear beads and turquoise drops, I wrapped them with Vintaj bronze wire. The four ball bronze ear wires go perfectly with the character and scale of the other components.

The result is an interesting "New Mexico meets alien space vehicle" combination, but somehow it works. I wish I could say that all my strange ideas were successful, but that is how I learn. It doesn't always work the first time, but I can usually find a way to use that new idea in another piece later on.



















Gloria Ewing

Chrysalis Tribal Jewelry
Chrysalis Too on Etsy

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful Gloria! Love the turquoise and bronze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! I'm using some of those stone wear beads in a necklace design that I have nearly finished. They are awesome.

      Delete
  2. LOL I love your description of "New Mexico meets alien space vehicle", it does look like that and it totally works. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think, no that could never work but I try it anyway, and then it does work. Thanks, Kristi!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful earrings! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alice! Green is my favorite color, and it works great with bronze and copper.

      Delete
  4. Strange ideas are the best because they are the most unique and raw and real, bubbling up to the surface from your own consciousness. I love these! Great color and texture! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete