Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Riffed

So this word has been thrown around a lot and brought over to jewelry work from music. Which is great because they are both creative outlets to express ourselves. 

And this weeks offerings are all about riffing on (I wont say old) great ideas! 

This first set was created and sold clear back in 2010. I remember taking the photos with a camera that no longer exists and at my daughters home which at the time was pretty new to her. This is how I relate to my jewelry. During time periods and what was happening in my life... 

I took this first photo on her back deck. The wood stain was almost worn off and it was really rustic. The tree was allowing the sunlight to only flicker through. The setting was perfect! 
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/34735615
 And then my beautiful daughter modeling the set...
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/34735615
I have been in love with these earrings for almost four years now and wishing I could make another set. However, in the true character of beads you love... I only have ONE blue paddle left. 

Now for the riffed set~~

https://www.etsy.com/listing/190960246/blue-gemstone-hoops-hoop-earrings-pure

https://www.etsy.com/listing/190960246/blue-gemstone-hoops-hoop-earrings-pure
This set has fine silver rings instead of sterling, the ear wires are wrapped on instead of formed, and the beads are faceted Apatite instead of Czech glass. I hope I have done the design justice. 

My heart still longs to re-create that first set. I will forever be searching for those capri blue paddles......


And one more "riff" this week.

These earrings have been hugely popular in my Etsy shop. A customer recently left me feedback saying "make more like these!". So I thought- yeah, I will! 


Amethyst dangling on a cascading set of fine silver hoop rings...


https://www.etsy.com/listing/125220465/amethyst-earrings-gemstone-hoops?ref=listing-6
And the Riff~
Carnelian dangling on a cascading set of fine silver rings... 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/190858415/sparkling-carnelian-earrings-gemstone?ref=listing-2
If you have a great idea, make it greater. Expand on it and see where that idea will take you! 
Until next time,
Cindy



10 comments:

  1. I love to riff! These are all beautiful. I LOVE how that fine silver gleams. These are totally the kind of thing I would wear! Seems to me I have seen matte finish Czech glass lentil beads at Fusion Beads. I have some very tiny round ones. They might not have this oval shape but maybe you could find round ones in the Capri blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keirsten! That's an idea I had not considered. I do have some small rounds. I will have to play with them and see if I can get inspired! :-)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous!! Too funny that you mention riffing, as I had pulled a few of my old designs that I want to revisit and take off from, recently. It's on my to-do list. I LOVE LOVE LOVE both designs here. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nathalie! It is a great way to get inspired!

      Delete
  3. Really beautiful!!! I love the backdrop of the old deck, always the kind of thing I look for when photographing. Your daughter is beautiful and a perfect model for the earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristi! She wears my jewelry well. I wish I could get her to model everything I make. :-)

      Delete
  4. These are all gorgeous! It's a lesson I need to learn - to develop designs; I tend to do one thing then move on to something different....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I love your jewelry! I think that's great that you can do such unique designs every time!

      Delete
  5. All of these earrings are gorgeous. I might even like the "riffed" ones better than the originals. I have never considered this, but even for someone like me who doesn't sell jewelry, riffing can only expand and improve on my original design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann! And thank you for taking the time to comment. :-)

      Delete